There are some things you can be sure of every summer in Texas. Among these things are: the weather will be hot, and ants will be on the move. Since ants like warm weather, and people spend more time outdoors in the summer, humans, and ants are bound to meet up.
Reduce Food Sources
One place people don’t want to meet up with ants is in their kitchen. Ants are attracted to your kitchen for the same reason your family is: it’s where the food is. To reduce the likelihood of ants in your kitchen, follow these best practices:
- Keep food sealed in airtight containers.
- Keep counters free of any food sources, wiping after each meal to clean up crumbs or spills.
- Keep floors clean by sweeping, vacuuming, or mopping regularly to get rid of spills and bits of food that might have dropped on the floor.
- Wash dishes or put them in the dishwasher immediately after meals.
- Bring food and drink in from outside when you’re done eating. You don’t want to draw ants closer to your home by having food available outside, either.
Create A Perimeter
Along with keeping food out of sight, spend some time making your yard less friendly to ants. Steps to take include:
- Eliminate organic debris around your home so ants won’t have a place to hide. Innovative Pest Control recommends you create a 2-foot zone around your foundation where there is no mulch or plants that could attract insects.
- Seal up openings around your house where ants could enter. (Yes, we know ants are small and can get through the tiniest of openings.)
- Reduce moist spots both inside and outside your home so ants won’t find the moisture they need. Outdoors, this means trimming branches and plants that provide too much shade, creating areas where moisture hangs around. Also, regularly empty containers where water can gather, such as buckets, plant saucers, or toys left outside.
Call In The Pros
While taking these steps to limit food, and creating a perimeter around your home can reduce the number of ants you see, the most effective way to get rid of ants is to call in a professional. The trained service technicians at Innovative Pest Control can provide the most effective weapon against pests by performing routine perimeter treatments around your home. We know the four kinds of ants that East Texans deal with on a regular basis and the best approach for each kind of ant.
Call us today to learn about the options we offer for both home pest control and commercial pest control services. You don’t have to fight ants by yourself; Innovative Pest Control is on your side.
- Ant Control,
- Ant Prevention,
- Ant Identification
The post Tips For Homeowners To Keep Summer Ants Out Of The Kitchen appeared first on Innovative Pest Control.