As fall swings into full gear, many outdoor insects and other pests will start to feel the chill in the air and start looking for a place to spend the winter in. One “fall pest” that you don’t want to take up residence in your home for a day, no less the entire winter season is the stink bug! Stink bugs are a very easily identifiable insect, thanks mostly because of the triangular-shaped “shield” that is located on their backs. Adult stink bugs are going to be about 5/8th of an inch long and about the same length wide. They are typically mottled brown in color, some may have green and other colors present; they also typically have some dark brown and light brown banding outlining their wings and on their antennae.
Stink bugs received their name because of the very pungent odor that they release from scent glands as a means of defense. Having hundreds of these smelly pests living in your home is not only a nuisance but as you can imagine a nauseatingly smelly situation!
Where will I find stink bugs?
Stink bugs are an agriculture pest, and so when the weather cools in the late fall they look to find a warm safe shelter to overwinter inside of. In the late fall stink bugs can be found gathering in large numbers on the sunny exteriors of homes and other buildings. As they make their way up the side of your home they enter through cracks found in the foundation, siding, and in holes found around the roof soffit. They can also easily enter through gaps found around exterior windows and doors and through the spaces found around air conditioners and utilities that enter into your home.
How can I prevent stink bugs?
At Innovative Pest Control, we want to offer you some tips to help prevent these odorous pests from making their way into your home this fall, along with tips on handling any that you find in your home.
- Remove as many areas for stink bugs to live and hide in on your property as possible. Place garden areas as far away from your home as you can and trim back vegetation and shrubs to keep them from overgrowing and giving the sting bugs access hiding spots.
- Before the weather cools too much, take the time to inspect the exterior of your home, sealing and repairing any cracks and crevices that are found. Check your home’s foundation and exterior walls, sealing any spaces found; caulk gaps found around exterior windows and doors. Repair or replace any torn or tattered window or door screens. Make sure that any missing or loose roof shingles are replaced, and chimneys have tight-fitting caps on them, and that vents have tight-fitting covers on them.
- Stink bugs are attracted to light. To help stop stink bugs from being attracted to your properties outdoor light switch out white light bulbs, including fluorescent, LED, halogen, and mercury vapor with yellow fluorescent or yellow LED bulbs.
- If during the fall season you do find any stink bugs in your home, on your walls, curtains, furniture, and similar areas do not squish them! Squishing them will release their powerful odor. Instead, use your vacuum cleaner to suck them up off of the surface that they are crawling over.
- Put into place a year-round pest control service. The best way to stop stink bugs and other fall pests from invading your property is to already have in place a service that provides the services needed to keep your home a pest-free property. Don’t wait until stink bugs are already in your home to act, the best defense against stink bugs is to be proactive!
At Innovative Pest Control, our Advantage home pest control programs provide our Texas customers with an affordable way to provide superior, year-round protection for their home and family against stink bugs and other common house invading pests. To learn more about stink bugs and how the pest professionals at Innovative can help to protect your home and your nose from an invasion, give us a call today!
- Home Pest Control,
- Stink Bugs Control
The post Top Stink Bug Prevention Tips | Pest Control TX appeared first on Innovative Pest Control.