“Look at the pretty rat!” said no customer, ever. If you own a business, be it a restaurant, shoe store, or food processing plant, rodents are never beneficial to have around. Not only can they cause a business to lose customers, they carry parasites, spread diseases, and lower worker morale, among other things.
Problems Caused By Rodents In Commercial Facilities
While it is hard to quantify the monetary cost of rodent damage to commercial facilities in the U.S., we know it is substantial. But business owners can avoid this damage with ongoing routine pest control. Invasive pests, such as Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus), roof rats (Rattus rattus), and house mice (Mus musculus) can have serious destructive effects on a facility if allowed to multiply and thrive. And the more a business concentrates in farming, food processing, and food storage, the greater the damage can become. Here are some ways rodents can harm commercial facilities:
- Rodents gnaw on insulation and wiring. At best, this causes heat loss in winter and cool air loss in summer as rodents disturb or remove insulation. At worst, this is a fire hazard as chewing on wires can create a spark.
- Rodents often get into machinery, which can result in system failure. Even if discovered before the machinery ceases to function properly, clean up can be difficult and even a health hazard.
- If shutdowns occur because of rodents, this can result in a company losing thousands of dollars in revenue while repairs are made.
- Rodents can weaken concrete slabs by burrowing underneath walkways and other areas.
- Rodents can weaken support beams if enough of them gnaw on the wood of a structure.
- Rodents will contaminate air ducts when they crawl inside. Hair, feces, and urine can become airborne and cause allergies and asthma to worsen in certain individuals.
- When rodents get into food sources, they can transmit diseases such as salmonella and hantavirus.
- Rodents also spread bacteria to food and food preparation surfaces, which can result in people getting sick with flu-like symptoms.
- Rodents in a business where customers are present can result in bad reviews which will lead to loss of business.
- The presence of rodents in a business will lead to failed inspections and, if not taken care of properly, can result in complete closure of the facility.
How Rodent Control Works
Eradicating rodents from any structure can be extremely difficult, as they are very resourceful pests that multiply quickly. And, in facilities where food sources are plentiful, rodents are unlikely to go after any type of bait that is set out. If you need help with rodents, consider Innovative’s rodent control program.
At Innovative, our initial treatment is designed to bring the number of rodents in your business down to zero. Our strategy includes:
- Exclusion and monitoring
- Strategic bait placements
- Sanitation checks
After this initial phase, we offer ongoing service to maintain control of rodents. We achieve this by:
- Continuing to monitor the effectiveness of your service.
- Offering a tailor-made service schedule.
- Utilizing our three treatment techniques which were developed using 20+ years of experience in rodent removal and exclusion.
- Partnering with both management and staff by teaching how to monitor incoming goods, and the pests that may be present.
- Emphasizing exterior control to stop rodents before they can find a way inside.
If you need assistance with innovative commercial pest control in East Texas, reach out to Innovative Pest Control. We’ve been servicing East Texas with industry-leading pest control for over 25 years. We have the experience and the education to get the job done right.
- Norway Rats,
- Rats in Texas
The post Why Rodent Control Is Crucial For Businesses appeared first on Innovative Pest Control.