June 26, 2020
Did You Know That Mice Can Be A Problem For Your Home All Year Long?
If you live in Longview, your home probably has all the ideal conditions for mouse activity. You can perhaps picture it now: It’s a quiet afternoon in your peaceful kitchen, and just as you’re about to bite into your lunch, you spot an intruder. You see a mouse scurry through the room. And, all of a sudden, you’re not hungry anymore.
Signs Of A Mouse Infestation
Household mice are common nuisance pests here in Longview, and as a homeowner, it’s important to be aware of the consequences. However, before we get into the dangers of mice, it’s good to know how to spot the signs. In order to have the best chances of minimizing the scope of infestation, it's crucial to identify any mouse activity as soon as possible. By being able to successfully identify signs of mice, you can address the problem before it goes undetected for too long. Here are some common indications of mice inhabiting your home.
- Droppings around active areas
- Gnawed holes and marks on wood
- Holes chewed through floors and walls, creating entry points into the home
- Nesting materials (shredded paper, fabric, dried plant matter)
- Rubbing and gnawing marks where they travel along walls
- Scampering and scratching noises from inside walls at night
- Signs of chewing on food packaging
- Unusual pet behavior
- Urine odors that give off a strong musky scent
The Dangers Of A Mouse Infestation
Now that we’ve gone over the common signs of mice, let’s review the dangers. Mice are tiny and they can fit into the most remote cracks and crevices, doing whatever they can in order to gain entry into your home. Once they get inside, they can cause widespread contamination and property damage. Here are some potential consequences of having a mouse infestation in your home:
- Bring other pests into your home such as fleas, ticks, and lice
- Can bite and transmit diseases
- Chewed and contaminated insulation
- Damage and risk for a potential house fire
- Exposure to rabies
- Gnaw through electrical wiring
- Leave droppings of excrement
- Rapid breeding and spreading
- Serious structural damage
- Weakened construction
- Widespread contamination
Mouse Prevention Tips
Something important to think about when it comes to mice is the rate at which they reproduce. They mate rapidly and prolifically, spreading the infestation in a short amount of time. Never underestimate the ability mice have to quickly grow their population. This increases the severity of contamination and heightens the threat of infestation. If you want to be proactive in your efforts to keep mice off your property, try the following preventative tips.
- Block off entry points.
- Eliminate access to food sources.
- Eliminate clutter and vacuum regularly.
- Fix leaky pipes and faulty faucets.
- Keep trash in a tightly sealed metal container.
- Maintain proper cleanliness.
- Reduce excess moisture and water sources.
- Remove woodpiles and yard debris.
- Seal up cracks and crevices.
- Store all food in gnaw-proof containers.
- Wipe up spills and crumbs.
How Innovative Pest Control Can Help
For year-round protection from mice and rats, contact the team at Innovative Pest Control today. Our rodent control and prevention services effectively identify, exterminate, and prevent rodent activity on properties. These nuisance pests are a year-round problem in eastern Texas, which is why you need the most reliable pest prevention in the Longview area.
We offer comprehensive residential and commercial rodent management, using a three-treatment approach including strategic bait placements, sanitation checks, and monitoring services. While we primarily use baiting methods, we also implement trapping solutions depending on your preferences. Our services are available on an ongoing basis or as a one-time treatment to fit your needs. Contact us today to schedule your initial inspection.