It’s open season on pests this spring, especially against these dangerous swarmers who could be coming to a household near you! Spring is a fairly common time of year for pests to begin reemerging from their hiding places. One of the most notorious of these pests include termites, those wood-eating monsters we all know well. The months of February through May are known as ‘termite season,’ which generally indicates the beginning of their primary breeding season.
Termites are technically active year-round, but the sexually reproductive (and winged) members of their ranks appear during the onslaught of spring. These termites are often called ‘swarmers,’ and are particularly notorious as the harbinger of severe termite problems in the home. This is bad news for at-risk homeowners, especially those of us living in the warmer climate of Texas. Termites cause nearly five billion dollars’ worth of damage each year, resulting in hundreds of homes completely eaten from the ground up.
Making Your Property Less Inviting To Termite Swarmers
If you've got termite swarmers fluttering around your windows, chances are there is a significant pest storm on the horizon. Before termites swarmers come out for the year, do what you can to make your property less inviting to wood-eating insects and their dreams of starting a new colony:
- Mitigate any outside moisture that could be creating a damp environment indoors. Check the home for leaking pipes or clogged drains, and set up dehumidifiers in problem spaces of the home. Desiccant bags are excellent alternatives for smaller spaces needing some relief.
- Remove any soil to wood contact around the outside of the home, paying special attention to landscaping features such as mulching. Peat stone and river rock make great alternatives to mulch, and are much more efficient at keeping pests out of the house.
- Trim the yard to manageable levels, making sure to prune trees, mow grass, and remove tall plants from the sides of the home. The more manicured your lawn is, the higher chances you’ll have for keeping termite swarmers out.
Do you think or know that termites have already entered your home? We won’t sugar coat things: that’s pretty bad news. Thankfully, you can start by calling for a professional inspection through Innovative Pest Control and size up your infestation woes quickly, safely, and efficiently.
What It Looks Like To Protect Your Home With Professionals – Innovative Pest Control
Home DIY(do it yourself) efforts are great for homeowners just looking to mitigate their chances for infestation. However, they certainly are not powerful enough to remove an entire infestation, or mitigate the effects of termite activity after it is established. Instead, homeowners will need to seek better prevention in the form of professional pest control. Here are a few reasons why the best form of termite protection comes from Innovative Pest Control:
- We have nearly 30 years of hands-on experience with pest prevention in the area.
- We utilize the Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System in all our treated houses.
- Pre-treatments, Bora-care, and Sentricon pretreatments are available to all customers.
- Both residential and business class termite treatments have our pest-free guarantee.
To learn more about our termite prevention or treatment system and how it could best work for you, give us a call at our office today. If you would prefer to get in contact with Innovative Pest Control another way, don’t hesitate to reach out through an online contact form, a personal visit, or an on-site inspection through one of our local agents. Make the decision to be prepared this spring. Get termite inspections, treatments, and pretreatments with the outstanding team at Innovative Pest Control today!