Subterranean termites are destructive insects that can spend years eating away at a structure without ever being detected. They are so sneaky they were able to eat away at the walls of the White House for years without being detected, until a mass of winged termite reproductives, or swarmers, were found crawling inside the hallway near the Oval Office. Do you know if termites are eating away at your home?
How Termites Can Impact Your Property
Most home or business owners will not know if they have termites unless they get a professional inspection, or they just happen to stumble upon the evidence of their presence.
- Termite damage looks like long grooves stacked upon each other, leaving the wood with a tattered look. Many have described termite damage as looking like stacked cardboard.
- Wood damaged by termites becomes brittle and hollow. If you tap on a support beam and it sounds hollow, this is a good indication you have termites.
- External damage can look like your home was attacked by a hundred carving knives.
- Termite damage can be accompanied by mud tubes that run up foundation walls and form on structural beams.
- When termite damage is severe, secondary signs will be seen, signs such as peeling wallpaper, bulging walls and sinking floors. Also, windows and doors will cease to work properly.
Termite Prevention Tips
- Keep things dry. Make sure gutters are clear and working properly. Dry up areas around your foundation. And make sure there is no water-damaged wood on the outside of your home. Termites are drawn to moist wood.
- Make sure windows, doors, weather stripping, roofs, etc. do not have leaks.
- Be aware that if you have wood touching the ground, this will attract termites. Fix any areas of your home that are in this condition. Also, keep wood piles and construction materials up off the ground and well away from your exterior walls.
- Replace mulch with crushed rock or other dry material.
- Keep vegetation trimmed back away from your walls.
Professional Preventative Termite Control Services
Here at Innovative Pest Control, we offer termite protection that is active 24 hours a day all year long. It is called Sentricon® System with Always Active™ technology. This is an award-winning system that has over 15 years of tried and true success. With this system, you can expect that all infesting termites will be removed from your property, and discreet bait stations that target encroaching termites will be installed and monitored. Termites are a multi-billion dollar problem in the United States today. Reach out to us to learn more about how you can protect your equity.